- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
- Pro-Palestinian protesters attack Israeli soccer team in Austria match
- Virginia police: 2 dead after storm at campground
- Ukrainian prime minister announces resignation
- House members question $17 billion VA request
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo launches statewide task force to collect LGBT data
- Obama’s motorcade prevents woman in labor from crossing street to hospital
- Grijalva: Anti-trafficking law ‘line in the sand for many of us’
- Joe Biden: ‘Businesses are hiring at historic rates’
- Jeb Bush to Congress: Don’t use border crisis as excuse to delay immigration reform
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: War veterans betrayed at home
Question of the Day
Now the veterans of the Iraq war, and soon the veterans of the war in Afghanistan, will share in common with the veterans of Vietnam War the bitter irony that we won every battle but ultimately lost the war — because we were defeated at home by self-serving, dishonorable politicians. The only consolation now is that far fewer of this generation will have died in vain.
In 1955, Army Gen. Douglas MacArthur warned against the political mentality “that no longer when we send our sons and daughters to the battlefield should we see them through all the way to victory; that we can call upon them to fight and even die in some half-hearted and indecisive effort; that we can plunge them recklessly into war and then suddenly decide that it is a wrong war, or in a wrong place, or at a wrong time, or even that we can call it not a war at all but by some euphonious or gentler name; that we can treat them as expendables although they are our own flesh and blood … .”
To serve in the military is to be there and be willing, and to unconditionally trust that our leaders are acting in good faith with us. While we could not conceive of defeat, we did not envision being betrayed. True faith and allegiance is not a common virtue among politicians.
SENIOR CHIEF PETTY OFFICER VERNON GRAY
U.S. Navy (Retired)
Great Mills, Md.
About the Author
- EDITORIAL: Obamacare enrollees faking for freebies
- EDITORIAL: Feds harassing the deliveryman
- EDITORIAL: Poor Hillary, rock-star wannabe
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Investigate airliner downing, but not Benghazi?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Say no to atheist 'chaplains'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic