- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Washington Redskins, yes; Harry Reid, no
Question of the Day
Mr. Snyder has been called many unflattering names by people claiming to be sensitive. Yet, he has remained a gentleman throughout, and a true American, taking the heat of undeserved criticism.
I typed “pejorative terms for people” into Google and opened Wikipedia’s list of 268 such names. I didn’t see “Redskin,” but I did see “Harry” (as in Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid). According to Wikipedia, “A person who is “harry” is often perceived as unsophisticated, vulgar or with bad taste.” It is a term most often used by snobbish Swedes against “common” Norwegians coming across their border.
I’m not Norwegian, nor am I unsophisticated or vulgar, and I don’t have bad taste, but I intend to stand up for all those who do, and I demand that Mr. Reid drop the use of his first name. As long as he continues to use it, he is publicly slurring vast numbers of people across the world. It is time for Sen. “H-word” Reid to legally change his name. Starting today, I’ll only refer to him as the “H-word” until he comes up with a more politically correct name.
People like Sen. “H-word” Reid, who struggle with name-calling, should probably not use the name Redskins, either. For the rest of us, who harbor no ill wishes, this is not an issue. Why don’t we save the outrage for people who do intend to offend? And frankly it’s for the best if Sen. “H-word” Reid doesn’t attend our games, either.
About the Author
- Take a first look at The Washington Times' new dynamic website
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: West shouldn't pander to Putin
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: 'Redskins' hardly the only offender
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Radar, torpedos to end Hamas tunnels?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Gaza 'analysis' poorly veiled bigotry
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
Get Breaking Alerts
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- ON THE RUN: Competition for Redskins backup running back is heating up