- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
New Gulf Coast tourism director comes from La.
Question of the Day
BILOXI, Miss. (AP) - Renee Areng, the assistant director of tourism for Visit Baton Rouge, is the new executive director of the Mississippi Gulf Coast Regional Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Areng is currently executive vice president of sales and marketing at Visit Baton Rouge, where she has worked since 2002. She will join the Gulf Coast team Aug. 1. She will be paid at least $130,000 annually.
Her appointment follows a seven-month search after Beth Carriere resigned in November.
After trying to find a director on its own, the board hired a search firm.
“They did an extensive national search for over 300 contacts” said search committee chairman Rich Westfall. “We narrowed that to a top 10 and went through the resumes and qualifications then the top four were interviewed. The committee recommended the top two to come and visit for interviews before the full board.”
Having been the second in command at the Baton Rouge organization, Westfall said Areng is well positioned to move into her new role.
“She works in a market that competes with us, so she knows our strengths and weaknesses. I think she’ll come in and provide leadership and direction.
“In the long run, we felt that she has the tools and experience to take our destination to the next level,” Westfall said.
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Calif. dolls were meant to spread cheer, not chill
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq