- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Artillery shell crashes through Okla. man’s home: ‘You would not believe how huge this thing is’
Question of the Day
The owner of Oklahoma’s Fast Machine Gun Shoot has some explaining to do. A 105mm artillery round from a World War II era howitzer crashed though a man’s home — three miles from the gun range.
“It’s unbelievable,” homeowner Gene Kelley told a local CBS affiliate June 24. “Unless you were here to see it or see the pictures I’ve got, you would not believe how huge this thing is.”
The gun range owner told the local station that safety precautions were taken.
“It was not on a level plane but on a downward trend, pointed downhill in the bottom of a valley,” said Mike Friend. “For that thing to rise and go far northwest of the range, it’s just unheard of. It’s a freak accident, because as far as the safety end of everything, we drill every one of our shooters before it ever begins. We have 30-to-45-minute drills.”
The owner of the weapon agreed to pay for damages to Mr. Kelley’s Wyandotte, Oklahoma, home, the station reported. The round was fired as part of the Full Auto Shoot and Trade Show, although it had never been fired at the Fast Machine Gun Shoot.
“Fortunately, nobody was hurt,” Mr. Kelley told the station.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Suspect in beating death of USC student lived in U.S. illegally 7 years, feds say
- China: PLA's next generation long-rang ballistic missile is here
- Australia issues arrest warrant for men believed to be homegrown ISIL terrorists
- Army's upcoming tracer rounds will light up the night while leaving enemies in the dark
- German general assigned as U.S. Army Europe's new chief of staff
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors