- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
California lawmaker wants to name post office after Marilyn Monroe
Question of the Day
A California post office could be getting a sexy makeover.
Democratic Rep. Tony Cárdenas introduced a bill Thursday that would rename a post office in the Van Nuys neighborhood of his southern California district after sex symbol Marilyn Monroe.
“The Marilyn Monroe Post Office will become a source of pride to our community,” said Mr. Cárdenas.
He noted that Ms. Monroe, who died in 1962, had attended nearby Van Nuys High School in the 1940s, when she went by her real name of Norma Jeane Mortenson.
Mr. Cárdenas said the new post office will be “particularly inspirational for the students of Van Nuys High School, who will have a constant reminder of the heights they can reach if they apply themselves. Marilyn Monroe defied the odds, rising from humble beginnings in Southern California to become a star.”
Joining the legislation as cosponsors were California Democratic Reps. Adam B. Schiff, Brad J. Sherman, Mike C. Thompson, Doris O. Matsui, Jerry McNerney, Eric M. Swalwell, Jim Costa, Anna G. Eshoo, Zoe Lofgren, Sam Farr, Raul Ruiz, Mark Allen Takano, Loretta Sanchez, Scott H. Peters, Lucille Roybal-Allard, Maxine Waters and Alan S. Lowenthal.
Rep. Buck P. McKeon, California Republican, also was among the original co-sponsors.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Steven A Miller
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- Congress leaves Obama holding the burden of border children
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Sen. John Thune aims at union corruption
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Australia issues arrest warrant for men believed to be homegrown ISIL terrorists
- Iraq Christians get meeting with top Obama aide
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors