- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Avs get Briere from Montreal for Parenteau, pick
Question of the Day
DENVER (AP) - The Colorado Avalanche have acquired veteran forward Daniel Briere from the Montreal Canadiens for right wing P.A. Parenteau and a fifth-round pick in next year’s draft.
Briere had 13 goals and 12 assists in 69 games last season. He also had three goals as Montreal advanced to the Eastern Conference final.
Avalanche executive Joe Sakic says the 36-year-old Briere brings “experience to our hockey club.” Briere was a first-round pick of Phoenix in 1996 and has played in 916 regular-season games with Philadelphia, Buffalo, Phoenix and Montreal.
Parenteau missed 25 games last season after hurting both knees during the year. He finished with 14 goals and 19 assists.
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq