- Associated Press - Monday, June 30, 2014

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Marshall Coulter, a teenager wounded by a Marigny homeowner last year, is incompetent to stand trial on burglaries that occurred before and after the shooting, a Louisiana juvenile court judge has ruled.

NOLA.com/The Times-Picayune reports (http://bit.ly/1mvOS5p ) Coulter, now 15, will be moved to a state hospital.

Orleans Parish Juvenile Judge Candice Bates-Anderson said in this past week’s ruling that Coulter will undergo treatment as part of a restorative process, and doctors will evaluate him again in the coming months to see if he has improved enough to face the criminal charges against him.

Bates-Anderson issued the order after considering the medical opinions of three different doctors who evaluated Coulter.

Merritt Landry, the homeowner who shot Coulter in the head last July after finding the unarmed teenager in the gated courtyard of his home, was arrested on a charge of attempted second-degree murder. But prosecutors in May announced they were refusing to prosecute Landry, citing news of Coulter’s latest arrests.

Charges are on hold while Coulter is evaluated.

The question for Bates-Anderson, the juvenile judge presiding over some of Coulter’s cases, is whether he could assist in his own defense. Three doctors agreed he lacked that ability at this time.

“It’s two-fold. Being competent is important all the way around, not just to stand trial but to be able to assist in living and having a life,” Bates-Anderson said.

___

Information from: The Times-Picayune, http://www.nola.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide