- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
- Detroit porch shooting trial: Suspect says he didn’t know gun was loaded
- U.S. Navy admiral ‘receptive’ to giving Chinese counterpart a tour of carrier
- Islamic State orders female genital mutilation for Mosul girls, U.N. says
- U.N. school in Gaza caught in cross-fire; 15 killed
- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
Perfect timing as Halep makes last 4 for 1st time
Question of the Day
They are both in a Grand Slam semifinal for the first time - and for the 26-year-old Petkovic it’s a very scary feeling.
Petkovic considered retiring from tennis after a succession of injuries to her back, ankle and knee saw her drop out of the top 10 and plummet to 143rd. She missed five of the eight Grand Slams in 2012 and 2013.
“I’m just so scared that it might slip away,” Petkovic said. “So now every time I have happy moments and nice wins, it immediately brings the doubt and the fear.”
Petkovic beat 10th-seeded Sara Errani, the 2012 French Open runner-up, 6-2, 6-2.
“When it was 6 2, 5-2 I sat down and I said to myself, ‘OK, Andrea, are you going to get tight now? And I paused and I said, ‘No, not now.’”
In Thursday’s other semifinal, the seventh-seeded Sharapova leads the 18th-seeded Bouchard 2-0, beating her in the second round at Roland Garros last year. Sharapova rallied from a set down to beat Halep in the Madrid Masters final last month.
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- EDITORIAL: Obamacare enrollees faking for freebies
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq