- Associated Press - Friday, June 6, 2014

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - A University of Oregon student who says she was sexually assaulted by three members of the men’s basketball team is making her first public statement since the controversy erupted on the Eugene campus.

The unidentified woman, through an attorney, sent an open letter to the Daily Emerald campus newspaper saying the athletic department prioritizes winning over student safety.

The alleged assault happened at the end of the regular season, and university officials allowed two of the players to compete in the NCAA tournament.

Prosecutors ultimately decided there was not enough evidence to charge the players. The players said the sexual contact was consensual.


The university dismissed the players from the team last month, saying their behavior was not suitable for a student-athlete.