Red Sox activate Napoli from DL

Question of the Day

Should Congress make English the official language of the U.S.?

View results

DETROIT (AP) - The Boston Red Sox activated first baseman Mike Napoli from the 15-day disabled list and put him in the starting lineup for Sunday night’s game at Detroit.

Napoli had been out with a sprained left finger and hadn’t played since May 23. To make room for him on the active roster, Alex Hassan was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket.

Boston right-hander Clay Buchholz, who is recovering from a left knee problem, threw three simulated innings, and manager John Farrell said he came out of it fine physically. Farrell says it will be important to get Buchholz some game activity.

Farrell also said third baseman Will Middlebrooks, who is out with a broken right index finger, has started hitting.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Get Adobe Flash player