- Associated Press - Monday, March 10, 2014

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) - The Museum of Nebraska History in Lincoln will close in September to prepare for an $8 million renovation project.

The project is scheduled to begin in October, the Lincoln Journal Star said (http://bit.ly/1cIK1QD ). Officials aren’t sure when it will be completed. The State Building Division plans to seek bids for the project by June.

The work will include replacement of the heating and air conditioning systems, plumbing, carpet and other finishes. The bathrooms will be upgraded to meet requirements of the Americans With Disabilities Act. In addition, the museum’s main entrance will be moved from the building’s northeast corner to the center of its east side.

The museum’s exhibits show the lifestyles of tribes that roamed Nebraska, explain how early pioneers lived and cover the lives of people who built the state’s primary institutions at the turn of the last century.

Michael Smith, chief executive officer of the Nebraska State Historical Society, which oversees the museum, said most of the exhibits will have to be moved but won’t leave the building.

“We won’t have to move collections out,” Smith said. “It will be a great advance for us. It’ll be a lot of work to get there.”

Last year the Legislature appropriated $6 million over three years for the renovation. Cigarette taxes will cover the rest of the cost.

___

Information from: Lincoln Journal Star, http://www.journalstar.com