- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
- Detroit porch shooting trial: Suspect says he didn’t know gun was loaded
- U.S. Navy admiral ‘receptive’ to giving Chinese counterpart a tour of carrier
- Islamic State orders female genital mutilation for Mosul girls, U.N. says
2 former FAMU officials charged with theft
Question of the Day
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Two former Florida A&M University officials have been charged with stealing from a university fund that helps students attend away football games.
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement reports that former dean of students Henry Kirby and former Student Government Association coordinator Morris Hawkins turned themselves Wednesday. Kirby is charged with one count of grand theft, and Hawkins was charged with three counts of grand theft and 11 counts of fraudulent claims.
The SGA began selling travel packages in 2008 for FAMU students to attend certain away football games. Authorities say Hawkins admitted to stealing at least $7,500 from the program, and investigators found more than $6,000 in reimbursement costs he should not have received. Kirby admitted to stealing $2,000 during an interview with investigators.
The university released a statement saying the missing money was initially discovered by an internal audit and reported to authorities.
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- EDITORIAL: Obamacare enrollees faking for freebies
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq