Continued from page 1

Man who killed 2 teens during beating out of jail

MILWAUKEE (AP) - A maintenance worker who fatally shot two teens as police say he was being beaten with a baseball bat in Milwaukee was released from jail Friday while prosecutors continue their investigation.

The man was released after initially being arrested on possible homicide charges after Wednesday’s shooting.

“All incidents like this require extensive work by law enforcement and prosecutors,” Milwaukee County Chief Deputy District Attorney Kent Lovern said in a statement announcing the man’s release.

Meanwhile, an attorney for the 39-year-old Cudahy man says his client has a permit to carry a gun.

Attorney David Geraghty told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (http://bit.ly/OqBC8Qhttp://bit.ly/OqBC8Q ) the man “considers it an occupational necessity” to carry a gun because of the nature and location of his work, but he is not a gun rights activist or a hunter.

“We feel pretty confident it was self-defense,” Geraghty said. The man who was beaten was treated for his injuries at a hospital before being arrested.

Police said 17-year-old Anmarie Miller and 19-year-old James Bell Jr., both of Milwaukee, were killed in the stairwell of an apartment building on the city’s west side shortly before 1 p.m. Wednesday.

___

Secret probe filings: Judge sees nothing improper

MADISON, Wis. (AP) - The judge overseeing a secret investigation into possible illegal coordination between conservative groups and recent recall campaigns said in a ruling earlier this year he doesn’t think anybody did anything wrong, according to court documents.

The documents, filed this week, offer some of the most definitive details yet on the probe. The investigation is being conducted as a so-called John Doe probe, a proceeding similar to a grand jury investigation where information is tightly controlled and witnesses can’t speak publicly about their testimony.

The conservative group Club for Growth has filed a federal lawsuit seeking to stop the investigation, arguing prosecutors are harassing conservatives. Attorneys for a state Government Accountability Board investigator working on the probe filed a heavily redacted brief Wednesday asking U.S. District Judge Rudolph Randa to toss the lawsuit.

Wisconsin Reporter, a website funded by the conservative Franklin Center, was able to view the blacked-out portions by pasting them into a word processing program. The Associated Press replicated the process Friday.

The brief confirmed the five-county probe focuses on alleged illegal campaign coordination between conservative organizations and Republican candidates’ campaigns during the 2011 and 2012 recalls. The elections were spurred by Democrats’ outrage over Republican Gov. Scott Walker’s law that stripped most public workers of nearly all their union rights. Democrats mounted a push to oust Walker himself, but the governor soundly defeated challenger Tom Barrett.

Story Continues →