- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
RI lawmakers take second look at gun control bills
Question of the Day
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - Gun rights supporters say they will gather at the Rhode Island Statehouse as lawmakers review a proposal to ban the sale of semi-automatic weapons.
A similar measure prompted by the Newtown, Conn., school shooting failed to get a vote last year following protests by gun rights supporters. The legislation is back again this year and will the subject of a hearing Tuesday in the House Judiciary Committee.
Supporters say restrictions on the weapons would reduce the risk of a mass shooting as well as more common acts of gun violence. But gun rights supporters say the proposal would infringe on Second Amendment rights and would do little to address the problem of gun crime.
Lawmakers will also review legislation to ban large-capacity magazines.
No votes have been scheduled.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Democratic Sen. John Walsh plagiarized War College master's thesis: report
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hezbollah warring in Syria could join fight against Israel
- Netanyahu's Wikipedia page replaced with giant Palestinian flag
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Pro-Russia rebel commander suggests passengers died days before Malaysian flight
- TYRRELL: The birth of a new alignment in the Middle East
- Despite rhetoric, gun prosecutions plummet under Obama
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq