- Joe Biden’s secret love: Skinny-dipping, Secret Service agents say
- Just-forged Israel-Hamas cease-fire ends in rocket fire
- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
Probation for ex-teacher in Vegas teen luring case
Question of the Day
LAS VEGAS (AP) - A former high school English teacher was sentenced Tuesday in Las Vegas to five years of probation for an inappropriate relationship with a teenage student almost a year ago.
Amanda Nicole Brennan, 25, has a chance to reduce her felony conviction to a misdemeanor if she stays out of trouble. But she also faces one to four years in prison if she slips and violates the sentence imposed after her Oct. 31 guilty plea to felony charge of luring a child with intent to engage in sexual conduct.
She also has to register as a sex offender.
“I’m sorry for the incident,” Brennan said softly as she stood with her defense lawyer, William Terry, before Senior Clark County District Judge James Brennan. The judge and the defendant are not related.
Terry called his client “naive” and said she knew she could never teach again.
Brennan and her mother declined comment.
Police had said the former Foothill High School teacher told investigators she knew it was wrong to date the boy, who was under 16 years old, but she did it anyway.
The boy’s parents reported that Brennan picked up the teen at his gated community in Henderson against their wishes and returned him home past curfew.
The teen told police that he and Brennan loved each other and had kissed twice, but only cuddled in the back of her car the night he went out without his parents’ permission.
Brennan’s sentencing came a week after a 22-year-old former Las Vegas substitute teacher was arrested on kidnapping, child sex and lewdness charges in a separate case involving what authorities allege was a sexual relationship with a 15-year-old student.
Tanikka Queen remained jailed Tuesday on $100,000 bail pending a March 31 preliminary hearing on felony kidnapping, child sexual assault and lewdness charges.
Police in that case reported recovering thousands of cellphone text messages between Queen and the eighth-grader, records of more than 100 voice calls and dozens of photographs.
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- EDITORIAL: For too many gays, 'tolerance' is a one-way street
- PRUDEN: Cooling the manufactured impeachment panic
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- Feds accept boredom, lack of work as excuses for surfing porn on clock
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world