- Catholic League slams Obama: ‘Do Christian lives mean so little to you?’
- National laboratory cancels ‘Southern Accent Reduction’ classes after outcry
- U.S. woman with Ebola is stable, improving, son says
- Belgium pushes for clear labeling of goods from Israeli settlements
- ‘Queen of Mean’ Leona Helmsley’s former home hits market for $65M
- Florida beach-goers told to beware flesh-eating bacteria in water
- Lundergan Grimes uses ‘war on women’ strategy to attack McConnell
- Rep. Jeff Miller: ‘Ain’t no leash for VA’
- Al Qaeda nets $125M from ransom payoffs from Europe since 2008
- Ohio Gov. John Kasich cruising to re-election: survey
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Think outside the black box
Question of the Day
The latest on the missing Malaysian plane is that its computerized flight path was deliberately altered — maybe even before it left the runway. The primary focus of the investigation seems to be clearly on the cockpit crew, because no one else on board seems to have had the requisite expertise. I have a different theory: remote hackers.
Consider this scenario: The data breach that hit Target and other retailers, although using malware created by a Russian teen, occurred during the busy shopping season associated with the Christian holiday of Christmas. Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 went missing at the start of Lent, a holiday also widely observed by Christians. It also happened close to the one-year anniversary of the ascendancy of a pope who, for lack of a better term, is packing people into the pews. If the events of Sept. 11, 2001, taught us nothing else, it was to think outside the box. Perhaps in giving so much negative press to Russian President Vladimir Putin over the crisis in Ukraine, we are missing an opportunity to utilize that country’s computer whizzes to solve this mystery.
The missing plane could well be the result of technology in ill-intentioned hands, such as those of terrorists.
KAREN ANN DELUCA
About the Author
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Reject any legislation dubbed 'comprehensive'
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Media are complicit in Hamas' tactics
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Gazans should help defeat Hamas
- EDITORIAL: The impeachment trap
- EDITORIAL: Illegal aliens in the shadows? What shadows?
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell's wife had 'crush' on CEO
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of politicizing business