- The Washington Times - Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Tough-talking Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Wednesday that the early morning air attacks on strategic military Syrian sites in the Golan Heights were not only justified, but that they would continue if necessary.

“The IDF attacked targets in Syrian territory,” Mr. Netanuyahu said, The Times of Israel reported. “These were targets of Syrian elements that not only facilitated, but also cooperated with, the attacks on our forces. Our policy is very clear: We attack those who attack us. We are also, to the best of our ability, interdicting the transfer of weapons by sea, air and land, and this activity will continue.”

He made it clear that it was Israel’s proactive aggressive military strategies that have kept the Jewish nation safe and secure — and actually decreased the level of terrorist attacks in the last few years.


SEE ALSO: Israeli airstrikes kill 1 Syrian soldier, wound 7


“Last year, it was the lowest in a decade,” he said, referring to both the number of victims and rocket and missile launches.

“From time to time, we must take vigorous action, as we are now doing, so that this quiet may continue,” he said, during his weekly cabinet meeting reported by The Times of Israel.

Israeli Air Force planes bombed several Syrian military positions in the Golan Heights early Wednesday morning — a retaliation for a Tuesday Syrian-assisted bombing on an Israeli border patrol that left four injured.

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon decried the Syrian-assisted bombing, and said that Israel would “react with might and resolve against anyone who acts against us, no matter where and when,” The Times of Israel reported.