- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
UNC elects new chancellor for Appalachian State
Question of the Day
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) - The woman who has been provost at Illinois State University since 2008 now is the chancellor of Appalachian State University.
Officials with the 17-campus University of North Carolina system said in a news release that the UNC Board of Governors voted Wednesday to elect Sheri Noren Everts as the next chancellor of the university in Boone. Noren Everts also was the vice president for academic affairs at Illinois State, which is one of 12 public universities in Illinois.
She will assume her new position July 1. UNC President Tom Ross says Noren Everts is an energetic and effective leader with a reputation for integrity and sound judgment.
Outgoing Chancellor Kenneth Peacock announced in April that he would step down this year after nine years on the job.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq