- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Dalai Lama to visit Birmingham in October
Question of the Day
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - The Dalai Lama will visit Birmingham this fall.
The mayor’s office says the spiritual leader of Tibet will arrive in the city for a four-day weekend visit beginning Oct. 24.
Public and private events are being planned, including an address by the Dalai Lama at Birmingham’s minor league baseball park on Oct. 26.
The visit will feature a theme of human rights. Schools, museums and libraries will participate.
Mayor William Bell says it’s an honor for the Dalai Lama to visit Birmingham, the scene of large civil rights protests in the early 60s. Bell says the appearance will help Birmingham continue presenting itself as a city moving forward.
TWT Video Picks
By Scott Pinsker
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Computer glitch caused odd Saturday release of D.C. guns ruling
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq