- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Michigan House asks for federal balanced budget
Question of the Day
LANSING, Mich. (AP) - The Republican-controlled Michigan House is asking Congress to convene a constitutional convention requiring that the federal budget be balanced.
A resolution approved 77-32 Thursday would join Michigan with around 20 other states that have called for a balanced budget convention. Thirty-four states are needed to convene the convention, and 38 would have to ratify the convention’s proposal to go into effect.
The Republican-led Michigan Senate also has approved a balance budget measure, so it and accompanying legislation could win final approval soon.
Republicans say it’s fiscally reckless to allow federal deficits and build up more debt. Exceptions to balanced budgets could be made for “national emergencies.”
Some Democrats voting against the measures say balanced budgets are an admirable goal but say the amendment wouldn’t provide enough flexibility in economic recessions.
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Colorado poll shows women tuning out Democrats' 'war on women' strategy
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world