- Associated Press - Friday, March 21, 2014

SPRINGFIELD, Vt. (AP) - The lead developer for a proposed wood-fired power plant won’t appeal a state board’s decision to deny a permit.

Last month, the Vermont Public Service Board rejected an application to build the 37-megawatt plant in Springfield, saying it would unduly interfere with the orderly development of the region, and the power benefits could be provided in a more cost-effective manner through energy conservation programs and energy-efficiency. Greenhouse gas emissions were also a concern.

“We basically have reviewed the decision carefully, we understand what the decision is and feel it would be a high-bar to overturn that ruling at this point and we’re not willing to invest more time and capital into that effort,” Adam Winstanley, of Winstanley Enterprises, said.

The project would have used wood chips trucked to the site and produced low-cost steam heat for the businesses in the industrial park and some neighbors. Supporters said the plant would provide an economic boost to Springfield, creating jobs and bringing in new investment.

Opponents raised concerns that the plant would increase traffic and pollution.

___

Information from: Eagle Times, http://www.eagletimes.com

Copyright © 2016 The Washington Times, LLC.

blog comments powered by Disqus

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide