- Associated Press - Friday, March 21, 2014

SAN DIEGO (AP) - Weber State jumped on Arizona early and fought back when the top seed in the West Regional tried to run away.

The Wildcats couldn’t finish it off, but it should serve as a nice foundation for the future.

Weber State held Arizona without a field goal for the opening 5 minutes and rallied most of the way back from a 21-point deficit before falling to the Wildcats 69-59 on Friday.

“We came in expecting to win, trying to win,” Weber State coach Randy Rahe said. “The guys did a tremendous job. I thought we could have pulled in the tents and our guys got a little more tough and showed resilience like they have all year.”

The first full day of the NCAA tournament was a wild one filled with upsets, and the bracket-busting trend continued early Friday, when Mercer, a No. 14 seed, knocked off mighty Duke.

Arizona (31-4) appeared to be next in line, falling into an 8-point deficit in the opening 6 minutes.

Arizona closed in around Weber State (19-12), shutting down the Wildcats during two big first-half runs, seemingly putting the fairy tale to bed.

Instead of running away, the Wildcats backed off, allowing Weber State to trim a 21-point lead down to nine in the closing minutes.

Arizona pulled out the victory, but it was merely solid, not great, particularly since the next game - against eighth-seeded Gonzaga on Sunday - is the spot the Wildcats have been picked to go down.

Nick Johnson had 18 points, Aaron Gordon added 16 and Arizona blocked 11 shots while holding Weber State to 30 percent from the field.

“We won and have to get ready for the next game,” said guard Gabe York, who hit two 3-pointers to jump-start Arizona out of its first-half funk. “The thrill of winning, moving on to the next round is what we play for.”

Weber State put up a fight in its first NCAA tournament appearance since 2007, clearly not intimidated by Arizona and its cast of future NBA players.

The Wildcats jumped on Arizona early and clawed back when they could have folded, at least making the Wildcats uncomfortable before losing steam.

Davion Berry scored 24 points, Joel Bolomboy had 11 points and 16 rebounds, and Richaud Gittens added 12 points while triggering Weber State’s second-half comeback.

“We had some tears in our locker room, but we fought hard,” Weber State senior guard Jordan Richardson said. “We were right there until the end.”

Story Continues →