SFA headlines top game in San Diego pod

Question of the Day

Should Congress make English the official language of the U.S.?

View results

SAN DIEGO (AP) - Arizona handled its business, even if it wasn’t pretty at times. UCLA pulled away late and Gonzaga held off Oklahoma State down the stretch to advance.

Three games of relatively routine action compared to what was happening in some of the NCAA tournament’s other pods.

Then there was what Stephen F. Austin did. That was enough excitement for all four games in San Diego.

Pulling off one of the most improbable comebacks in the NCAA tournament’s long history of bracket busting, SFA tied the game on Desmond Haymon’s four-point play with 3.6 seconds left and outlasted Virginia Commonwealth in overtime for a 77-75 victory on Friday night.

“Well, miracles truly do happen,” SFA coach Brad Underwood said.

There hadn’t been in the early games at San Diego State’s Viejas Arena.

Arizona, the top seed in the West Regional, got off to a shaky start and blew most of a 21-point lead. The Wildcats still got through, holding off Weber State (19-12) for a 69-59 victory to avoid becoming the biggest upset yet in a bracket that’s been filled with them.

The Wildcats (31-4) will move on to face Gonzaga (29-6) in the third round on Sunday after Kevin Pangos scored 26 points and hit 10 of 10 free throws in the final 1:31 of the Bulldogs’ foul-filled, 85-77 win over Oklahoma State.

The Bruins pulled away from Tulsa for a 76-59 victory in the South Region, giving Steve Alford a victory in his first NCAA tournament game as their coach.

UCLA (27-8) will move on to face SFA, which had the marquee game of the day in San Diego with VCU.

In fact, it was one of the best games during the first two full days of the NCAA tournament, which is saying something after all the upsets, buzzer-beaters and millions of crumpled brackets across the country.

VCU (23-10), the South Region’s No. 5 seed, was firmly in control after its swarming defense flustered SFA during a big second-half run.

The scrappy Lumberjacks (32-2) kept hanging around and clawed their way back in the closing seconds.

Two missed free throws by VCU’s Jordan Burgess with 10 seconds left gave SFA a chance.

The Lumberjacks worked the ball around to the wing, where Haymon launched a 3-pointer and was fouled by JeQuan Lewis just before the ball fell through the basket.

Story Continues →

View Entire Story

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

blog comments powered by Disqus