- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Minnesota news in brief at 7:58 p.m. CDT
Wednesday, March 26, 2014
Question of the Day
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - After Gov. Mark Dayton publicly broke with his Health Department commissioner over the extent of regulation needed on electronic cigarettes, lawmakers took a step Wednesday toward removing a proposed ban on indoor use in public places.
To the dismay of some public health advocates, Dayton came out against legislative efforts to lump e-cigarettes in with conventional cigarettes by barring their use in public buildings and most businesses. His comments directly contradict Health Commissioner Ed Ehlinger’s testimony at a Senate committee meeting Monday.
“After we came down pretty hard on smokers last session, that’s probably enough for this biennium,” Dayton told the Minneapolis Star Tribune, referring to tobacco tax increases last year. “We did enough to smokers last session.”
Dayton said he would sign a bill to restrict children’s ability to buy e-cigarettes and to keep the product out of schools, but he would likely oppose making them subject to the indoor air law.
A bill that would have done both was awaiting a Senate vote, but it was pulled back to the committee stage where the parts Dayton objected to could be stripped. Sen. Jim Metzen, DFL-South St. Paul, said it made sense to “capitulate a little bit to the governor’s wishes and keep the e-cigarette bill alive.”
FAIRMONT, Minn. (AP) - Fairmont police have received hundreds of reports of credit and debit card fraud since a local restaurant’s computer was hacked.
Since early last week, police in the southern Minnesota town have received more than 200 reports of credit and debit cards being used to make fraudulent purchases in at least 13 states, including Texas, Arizona and New York.
Police say all the cards have been linked to a Fairmont restaurant, El Agave. Officials believe a point-of-sale hack took place at the restaurant.
Authorities say the restaurant was unaware of the hack and is cooperating with the investigation. Police say there is no evidence that any restaurant employees took part in the hack.
KTOE-AM (http://bit.ly/1dOo7Gs) reports the U.S. Secret Service has joined local authorities in the investigation.
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Man says he shot burglar who said she was pregnant
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq