- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
19 upstate NY counties in line for US disaster aid
Question of the Day
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - The U.S. Department of Agriculture has declared a disaster in 19 upstate New York counties where the severe winter has caused extensive damage to the region’s vineyards.
Sens. Kirsten Gillibrand and Charles Schumer say Wednesday’s declaration is intended to provide relief to grape growers and other farmers. The declaration covers primary areas in Cattaraugus, Cayuga, Chautauqua, Oswego and Yates counties. It also includes 14 contiguous counties: Allegany, Cortland, Erie, Jefferson, Lewis, Oneida, Onondaga, Ontario, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Tompkins, Wayne and Wyoming.
Farmers and growers will be eligible to apply for federal assistance to help them recover.
The counties included in the disaster declaration include those in the popular Finger Lakes wine region.
The full extent of the winter’s toll on New York’s $4.8 billion grape and wine industry isn’t known yet.
TWT Video Picks
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- Tony Dungy doubles down on Michael Sam remarks: 'Drafting him would bring much distraction'
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- Rick Perry: County jails in Texas have taken in 203,000 "criminal aliens"
- Rep. Jared Polis' anti-fracking crusade riles Colorado
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq