- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
2 Fla. metro areas among fastest-growing
Question of the Day
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - Two Florida metropolitan areas are among the nation’s fastest growing.
The Villages, home to one of the nation’s largest retirement communities, topped the list of fastest-growing metro areas released by the U.S. Census Bureau on Thursday. The Villages grew by 5.2 percent between 2012 and 2013 and now has a population just shy of 100,000 residents.
Sumter County, which is home to The Villages, also was one of the nation’s fastest-growing counties.
The 10th fast-growing metro area in the nation was the Cape Coral-Fort Myers area, which grew by 2.5 percent and now has around 640,000 residents.
The Census Bureau says South Florida area, made up of Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach, was the nation’s eighth most populous metropolitan area with 5.8 million residents.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq