Reds RHP Cueto to start opening day in Cincinnati

Question of the Day

Is it still considered bad form to talk politics during a social gathering?

View results

GOODYEAR, Ariz. (AP) - Johnny Cueto is set to start on opening day for the Cincinnati Reds for the third straight season.

First-year manager Bryan Price said Thursday that Cueto will pitch Monday at home against St. Louis.

Price had to sort through a series of minor injuries, including Cueto’s tender right shoulder, before making the final determination. Cueto missed a turn this spring because of soreness.

“When Johnny’s been healthy, he’s been our No. 1 starter, legitimately for the previous four years,” Price said. “Keeping him healthy is the key. He only made 11 starts for us last year. Yesterday, I had him long toss. I asked him how he felt after it then made the decision.”

Tony Cingrani will pitch the second game. He was the only starter in the rotation without an injury issue this spring.

Homer Bailey was skipped with a sore right groin and Mike Leake had slight pain in his abdomen. Bailey will start the final game of Cardinal series. Leake will start the first game in New York.

Mat Latos will miss at least one start after minor elbow and knee surgery. Alfredo Simon will start the fifth game in New York against the Mets.

Brett Marshall is slowed by a strained tendon in his middle finger, and he will see a hand specialist in Phoenix on Friday.

Marshall and Devin Mesoraco may join Aroldis Chapman; Jonathan Broxton, who pitched in a minor league game today; Sean Marshall; Latos; Jack Hannahan and Skip Schumaker on the disabled list.

Mesoraco hasn’t played in 10 days with a strained oblique.

“Devin has to play. He has to catch, throw, hit and run. It is unlikely that he will join us but we haven’t signed off on putting him on the disabled list,” Price said.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus