- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Sarah Palin’s online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
Faulconer takes office as San Diego mayor
Question of the Day
SAN DIEGO (AP) - Kevin Faulconer has been sworn in as the 36th mayor of San Diego, making the city the nation’s largest to have a Republican leader.
The 47-year-old former city councilman took office Monday at a community center in south San Diego, telling about 400 people that he would work to unify neighborhoods across the city.
Faulconer says he will “revitalize the police department from the ground up.” Last week he named Assistant Chief Shelley Zimmerman to lead the department after the resignation of William Lansdowne, who had been dogged by allegations of officer misconduct.
Faulconer was elected last month to finish the term of Bob Filner, who was San Diego’s first Democratic leader in 20 years. Filner resigned after less than nine months amid a torrent of sexual harassment allegations.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world