- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
Newton targets downtown development
Question of the Day
NEWTON, Miss. (AP) - Government and business interests in Newtown say several projects getting underway should help bring people downtown in the Newton County community.
Among them is the opening of a farmer’s market later in the spring, WTOK-TV reported (http://bit.ly/1hiCEim ).
“We’re trying to get farmers to commit and make sure that we’re actually going to have enough to pull this off,” said Chamber of Commerce spokeswoman Amanda Blackburn. “But we’ve had fantastic feedback from the community about it. So, we’re just super excited, and we hope that we can get it started in May.”
Mayor David Carr said the city also has launched a project aimed at upgrading streets in the community of about 3,700 people.
“We’ll be bidding it out within the next month,” he said. “It’s for a little over $2 million. We’re going to pave five of our major thoroughfare streets in several of the neighborhoods including those by the schools up here.”
And Carr said bids have been taken to provide wireless Internet access in downtown Newton. He said wireless access is expected to increase exposure for businesses and attractions in the downtown area.
Wireless service should be available in the downtown area by the end of summer, Carr said.
Installation of the service is expected to cost the city about $6,000, he said.
Information from: WTOK-TV, http://www.wtok.com
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- DCCC raising money on suggestion Obama impeachment is imminent
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- Pentagon running out of time to find mass of missing weapons in Afghanistan
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq