- Joe Biden’s secret love: Skinny-dipping, Secret Service agents say
- Just-forged Israel-Hamas cease-fire ends in rocket fire
- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Question of the Day
China announced Wednesday that it would increase its military budget by 12.2 percent this year — the largest spending hike for national defense purposes in three years.
President Xi Jinping will see to it that China’s defense budget jumps from roughly $117.26 billion to $131.57 billion in 2014, Reutersreported. It plans to funnel that money into increased coastal and air defenses.
After Japan and Taiwan expressed displeasure with the announcement, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang held a briefing in which he said that China would not have a military comprised of “boy scouts with spears,” Reuters reported.
“Some foreigners always expect China to be a baby scout,” continued Qin. “In that way, how can we safeguard national security and world peace?”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- German general assigned as U.S. Army Europe's new chief of staff
- A football fantasy: NFL players to wear chips that track every move in real time
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Bill Clinton audio surfaces from Sept. 10, 2001: 'I could have killed' Osama bin Laden
- U.S. doubting war on terror outcome: 27% of likely voters tell Rasmussen U.S. is winning
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- EDITORIAL: For too many gays, 'tolerance' is a one-way street
- PRUDEN: Cooling the manufactured impeachment panic
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- Feds accept boredom, lack of work as excuses for surfing porn on clock
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world