- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Hillary Clinton likens Putin to Hitler, Russia-Ukraine dispute to Nazi Germany
Question of the Day
Hillary Rodham Clinton raised the specter of Nazi-occupied Germany while making public comments about the military dispute between Russia and Ukraine, reportedly likening Russian President Vladimir Putin to Adolph Hitler.
Specifically, she said that Mr. Putin’s decision to issue passports to those in Crimea with ties to Russia is akin to the “population transfers” that went forth in Germany in the lead-up to World War II, BuzzFeedreported.
“Now if this sounds familiar, it’s what Hitler did back in the ‘30s,” Mrs. Clinton said Tuesday during a private event in Southern California, according to the Long Beach Press-Telegram, which had its executive editor, Harry Saltzgaver, at the event.
BuzzFeed noted her speech was one of the few foreign policy commentaries she has made publicly since exiting her State Department role in 2013.
Mr. Saltzgaver told BuzzFeed that “Mrs. Clinton talked at length on the situation in the Ukraine. … She compared issuing Russian passports to Ukrainians with ties to Russia with early actions by Nazi Germany before Hitler began invading neighboring countries. She said, however, that while that makes people nervous, there is no indication that Putin is as irrational as the instigator of Word War II.”
BuzzFeed reported that another person attending the event also heard Mrs. Clinton talking about “how what Putin is doing now is similar to what Hitler did, essentially providing these ethnic Russians in the Crimea region access back to Russia.”
The event she spoke at was reportedly a $1,500-per-person fundraiser for the Boys and Girls Club of Long Beach.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- John McCain laments: Obama's 'self-pity … is really kind of sad'
- Michele Bachmann 'There's a chance I could run' for president
- U.S. Navy admiral 'receptive' to giving Chinese counterpart a tour of carrier
- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
- Tennessee restaurant: 'Guns are Welcome' signs cause business to spike
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq