- Dutch receiving Malaysia plane bodies irked at Putin’s daughter in Holland
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: ‘Emergency plan’ launched
- Colorado judge strikes voter-backed gay marriage ban, but issues stay
- Brooklyn Bridge flag-swapping suspects identified by nickname
- Christian woman in Sudan spared for apostasy flies to Italy
- Iraq: 60 dead in attack on prisoner convoy
- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
Va shipbuilder gets $1.295B more for Navy contract
Question of the Day
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (AP) - Newport News Shipbuilding is continuing its work on the aircraft carrier John F. Kennedy.
The division of Huntington Ingalls Industries announced this week that it has received a $1.295 billion extension to a Navy contract to continue preparations for the construction of the nuclear-powered ship.
It is the second ship in the Gerald R. Ford class, which is the Navy's latest class of nuclear-powered aircraft carriers.
Officials say the extension enables shipbuilders to complete an additional 343 structural units and purchase the majority of the remaining material for the ship.
The shipyard has performed work on the John F. Kennedy since 2009. The first cut of steel was commemorated in 2011.
This will be the second aircraft carrier named after Kennedy. The USS John F. Kennedy was decommissioned in 2007.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: 'Emergency plan' launched
- Despite rhetoric, gun prosecutions plummet under Obama
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- CROWLEY: The good-time president
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Hezbollah in Syria could join fight against Israel
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- EDITORIAL: Poor Hillary, rock-star wannabe
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq