- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
Winthrop upsets High Point 62-60
Question of the Day
CONWAY, S.C. (AP) - Andre Smith made a 3-point shot over two defenders with .5 seconds left as Winthrop, the No. 4 seed out of the South Division, upset High Point, the North’s No. 1 seed, 62-60 in a Big South quarterfinal on Friday.
It looked like High Point, which had trailed since the 3:21 mark, might avoid the upset after Adam Weary made a floater with 6 seconds left. But Smith took the inbounds pass, raced down court, and put up the winning shot from about 25 feet out. A desperation shot by High Point was late and off the mark.
Winthrop (19-12), which has defeated High Point (16-14) in all five of their tournament meetings, advanced to a Saturday semifinal against UNC Asheville.
Keon Moore finished with 23 points and Smith 12 for the Eagles.
Conference player of the year John Brown scored 17 points for High Point, which had a six-game winning streak snapped.
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is 'torture'
- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame ready for different route to title
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq