- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Pa. DEP slow to act on Alpha coal mining offenses
Question of the Day
The Citizens Coal Council looked at discharges between 2007 and 2009 at three longwall mines in its investigation. One was Alpha’s Emerald mine and the other two belonged to Consol Energy Inc., a Cecil-based coal and gas company.
Consol’s pattern of violations matched Alpha’s, Mr. Kunz said.
“It would be easy to say this is just one bad actor but it’s across (the industry),” he said.
The Citizens Coal Council considered suing Consol for its violations, as it is now suing Alpha, but decided that Alpha was an easier mark.
“I’m aware that they’re engaged with the EPA,” he said.
He declined to say whether the DEP is looking into Consol’s compliance history.
Consol and the EPA said they could not comment on potential negotiations.
“Unfortunately, this is not unique” to Alpha, said John Capacasa, director of the water protection division at EPA’s Mid-Atlantic Region. “I think we’ve had a number of compliance challenges in Appalachia.”
Information from: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, http://www.post-gazette.com
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world