- House passes VA reform compromise
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
Rams confident Sam’s the right fit
Question of the Day
“We’re in an age of diversity. Players understand that, they know that,” Fisher said Saturday as the league was buzzing with the historic pick. “People will try to make it a distraction but it’s not a distraction.”
The Rams drafted Sam based on the Missouri star’s ability - and with confidence they’re ready for the sideshow that surely will follow. Rookies report on Monday ahead of a rookie minicamp later in the week.
Fisher and general manager Les Snead didn’t check with players before making the pick. So far they haven’t been disappointed with expectations Sam would be welcomed with open arms, just like any other new teammate.
The timing is right, he believes, just as it was when Sam told Missouri teammates he was gay before the start of fall drills and there were zero leaks.
“I’m sure it was a very, very difficult thing for him to do,” the coach said. “I would also submit it was probably a tremendous load off his shoulders.”
If problems develop, Fisher said, he’ll nip them in the bud. But none are anticipated.
“Hey, are there going to be idiots out there and say some stupid stuff? Yeah,” Sam said in a conference call with St. Louis reporters. “I’m not worried about that.”
So far, Sam has been deluged with congratulatory texts and tweets from teammates and around the league.
Teammate Robert Quinn, a defensive lineman, tweeted: “Welcome to the squad @MikeSamFootball #D-LineShowtime.”
The Rams are getting viewed as pioneers.
“It was exciting to see that emotion but also see that he went to a good football team,” Broncos GM John Elway said. “Obviously, they thought that Michael was going to fit them very well.”
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- MSNBC's Ronan Farrow questions lack of racial diversity in emoji characters
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama vows veto of House border bill
- ISTOOK: Get ready for super-priced burgers due to NLRB decree
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world