- Associated Press - Monday, May 12, 2014

OSWEGO, N.Y. (AP) - The New York National Guard says it won’t resume the search for parts of the unmanned military aircraft that crashed into Lake Ontario late last year.

Guard spokesman Eric Durr says Monday that the Air National Guard has decided not to resume the search this spring for the MQ-9 Reaper because a harsh winter of strong waves likely dispersed the debris field.

The drone crashed Nov. 12 after taking off from Fort Drum in northern New York. Military officials say the multimillion-dollar aircraft went down about 20 miles northeast of Oswego. Pieces of the drone later washed ashore about 12 miles east of where it crashed.

The drone was among those flown by the Air Guard’s Syracuse-based 174th Attack Wing.

The Air Force is investigating the cause of the crash.

Copyright © 2016 The Washington Times, LLC.

blog comments powered by Disqus


Click to Read More

Click to Hide