- Family removed from Southwest flight over tweet about rude agent, dad says
- Michael Bloomberg thumbs FAA ban, plots course to Israel
- California bans full-contact football practices in off-season
- Thune: Downed fighter jets show more evidence of separatist capabilities
- Obama tells DNC fundraising crowd: ‘I’m not overly partisan’
- Chambliss: Downed jet ultimately goes back to Putin
- Perdue strategy: Run against Reid, Obama, Pelosi
- White House: More changes to contraception mandate coming
- ‘Operation Normandy’ set to send 3,500 volunteers to border to ‘stop an invasion’
- Netanyahu’s spokesman: Safe to fly to Israel
Development group seeking $60M for Lowcountry land
Question of the Day
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. (AP) - An economic group says there’s not enough land for development in Beaufort County and wants almost $60 million to buy several large parcels.
The Island Packet of Hilton Head reports (http://bit.ly/RE7GI6 ) the Lowcountry Economic Alliance would like to attract aerospace companies, defense contractors and information-technology companies to the fast-growing county on South Carolina’s south coast.
But alliance executive director Kim Statler says there are no parcels of land big enough to locate the companies the alliance hopes to attract. The economic development group would like to buy more than 1,200 acres near Yemassee, Bluffton and Beaufort. The alliance would then add sewage and road improvements.
The alliance says money for the effort could come from a 1 percent sales tax that might be considered by voters in November.
Information from: The Island Packet, http://www.islandpacket.com
TWT Video Picks
Retailer pays a price for getting too close to Obama
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down
- HURT: The cost of 'free' water in Detroit
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq