- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
Iowa man with leukemia holds ‘wake’ for himself
Question of the Day
DUBUQUE, Iowa (AP) - A longtime Dubuque real estate agent has held a “wake” for himself, following news that he has weeks or even days to live because of a terminal illness.
Don Lochner, 66, invited dozens of friends to a gathering Tuesday night at a local Italian restaurant, the Telegraph Herald reported (http://bit.ly/1iLVye9 ). Lochner said despite the grim party theme, his priorities are laughing and spending time with people.
“I’ve never died before. I don’t know what the rules are,” he said. “I don’t think there are any.”
Lochner is a Navy veteran who was deployed during the Vietnam War. He was diagnosed with leukemia in January, which he believes is linked to Agent Orange exposure. He has been receiving treatment at the Iowa City Veterans Affairs hospital.
Lochner said he’s upset about his diagnosis, “but what good does that do you? I’d rather go with the flow, and skip being mad.”
Friends said they’re not surprised by Lochner’s positive attitude.
Linda Budde was supportive of her childhood friend’s approach to the gathering Tuesday.
“I think it’s a wonderful idea,” she said. “The doctors haven’t given him long to live, but he’s going to enjoy life for as long as he can. He wants to celebrate with his friends now, instead of his friends celebrating his life after he’s gone.”
Information from: Telegraph Herald, http://www.thonline.com
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Democratic Sen. John Walsh plagiarized War College master's thesis: report
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Netanyahu's Wikipedia page replaced with giant Palestinian flag
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Hezbollah warring in Syria could join fight against Israel
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq