- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
PH Garcia HBP in 12th sends Cardinals over Cubs
Question of the Day
“I saw the pitch out of his hand and knew it was in,” Garcia said. “When it got close to the plate I saw it had a chance to hit me. I’ll take that one 100 percent of the time.”
Seth Maness (1-2) tossed a scoreless 12th for the win. Both teams used seven pitchers.
St. Louis manager Mike Matheny said he had not planned to use Maness, who had pitched the last three games.
“We were planning on staying away from him if possible, but it turned out we needed him,” Matheny said.
Trailing 3-2 going into the ninth, Chicago rallied to tie it off closer Trevor Rosenthal on Emilio Bonifacio’s RBI single with two outs. The blown save was the first for Rosenthal in 11 opportunities.
“That’s tough, and you could feel it,” Matheny said. “But they just put their head down and kept playing. That would have been a tough one to lose.”
Matt Adams and Matt Carpenter also drove in runs for the Cardinals.
Luis Valbuena hit a two-run homer off Cardinals starter Adam Wainwright as part of a three-hit night.
“The guys ended up fighting, doing the best they could,” Cubs manager Rick Renteria said. “We just fell a little short.”
The Cardinals took a 3-2 lead in the sixth after Peter Bourjos led off with a bunt single against Carlos Villanueva. Bourjos went to second on a grounder, stole third on ball four pitch to pinch-hitter Jon Jay and scored on Carpenter’s grounder. Peralta added an RBI single.
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- Tony Dungy doubles down on Michael Sam remarks: 'Drafting him would bring much distraction'
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- Rick Perry: County jails in Texas have taken in 203,000 "criminal aliens"
- Rep. Jared Polis' anti-fracking crusade riles Colorado
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq