- Just-forged Israel-Hamas cease-fire ends in rocket fire
- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
CANNES WATCH: Amy Adams film sells to Paramount
Question of the Day
CANNES, France (AP) - One of the hottest properties in Cannes has been acquired by Paramount Pictures.
Paramount has purchased the North America and China distribution rights for “Story of Your Life,” a sci-fi thriller to star Amy Adams. Directing is Denis Villeneuve, the Canadian filmmaker who made last year’s kidnapping thriller “Prisoners” and the 2010 Oscar-nominated, French-language mystery “Incendies.”
Based on a short story by science-fiction writer Ted Chiang, “Story of Your Life” is about a linguist (to be played by Adams) recruited by the military to translate invading aliens. It’s being produced and financed by FilmNation Entertainment in partnership with Lava Bear Films.
Paramount, which said it expects to release the film in 2016, reportedly paid $20 million for the rights to the film.
- By AP Film Writer Jake Coyle, http://twitter.com/jake_coyle
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- EDITORIAL: For too many gays, 'tolerance' is a one-way street
- PRUDEN: Cooling the manufactured impeachment panic
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- Feds accept boredom, lack of work as excuses for surfing porn on clock
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world