- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
- Iran’s Rouhani: Israel, Islamic State are ‘tumors derived from the same origin’
- Rep. Tim Murphy: GOP knew HealthCare.gov would be an ‘unmitigated disaster’
- Political speak: Planned Parenthood dumps ‘pro-choice’ for ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
- Investigators reach Ukraine jet crash site
- Ohio gives Obama a thumbs down; Hillary Clinton tops GOP all-stars: poll
- Jesse Ventura suggests suit not over; HarperCollins could be next
- ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics: State Department
Inside the Beltway: Oh woe is The New York Times
Question of the Day
“I think it would be great if she were on ‘The View.’ But I wouldn’t expect it tomorrow. Maybe she could take my place. You know, ‘The View with Whoopi Goldberg and Monica Lewinsky,’” Ms. Walters told CBS late-night host David Letterman.
MR. KING EXPLAINS ALL
An Iowa Republican who supports secure borders and condemns immigration amnesty has drawn Democratic ire.
“Every time any Republican raised the possibility of action on immigration reform in the House, Steve King is there, in his own words, ‘manning the watchtowers 24/7’ to make sure nothing can be passed to fix our broken immigration system,” Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York, told his peers in a floor speech Thursday.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid chimed in as well.
“Once again, I’m flattered by Senator Schumer, and now Majority Leader Harry Reid’s attempt to insult me, yet give me 100 percent of the credit for blocking their amnesty agenda,” Rep. Steve King says in reply. “Their goal is to bait Republicans into passing amnesty. I want to remind our Republican leadership that there is a hook in the bait that Schumer and Reid are dangling — and you are smarter than to take it and get caught. Their goal always has been and always will be to divide Republicans and unite Democrats.”
Mr. King continues, “The only way the American people lose is if [House Speaker] John Boehner and the rest of our Republican leadership take the bait dangled before them on the Senate Floor again this week. I have stated time and time again, and my resolve could not be stronger — I will continue to focus on restoring the rule of law above all else in this immigration debate and I urge my colleagues to do the same.”
WEEKEND REAL ESTATE
For sale: Bran Castle, built by the Knights of the Teutonic Order in 1212 on 20 acres near Brasov, Romania. Hilltop fortress, former royal residence, has five defensive turrets, watchtower, 1,400-step concrete staircase, panoramic views, secret passage, extensive gardens, considered national landmark. Also called “Dracula’s Castle” due to its prolonged association with Wallachian ruler Vlad Tepes (Vlad the Impaler), who visited the site. Taken over by Communists in 1948, restored to family owners in 1991. Priced at $84 million by Archduke Dominic von Habsburg, through Herzfeld and Rubin, a New York law firm. More information here: Bran-castle.com
POLL DU JOUR
• 78 percent of American voters say questions about the way the Obama administration handled the Benghazi attacks is a serious matter; 89 percent of Republicans and 72 percent of Democrats agree.
• 67 percent of voters overall approve of a special congressional committee to investigate the attacks; 83 percent of Republicans and 55 percent of Democrats agree.
• 63 percent overall say Republicans investigating the attacks are hoping for “political gain;” 38 percent of Republicans and 82 percent of Democrats agree.
• 54 percent overall say the administration tried to “deceive” the nation about the attacks; 82 percent of Republicans and 25 percent of Democrats agree.
• 51 percent overall say the administration “knowingly lied” about the attacks; 81 percent of Republicans and 23 percent of Democrats agree.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- 89 percent of wary Americans say illegal immigration a 'serious issue'
- Ron Paul giving away a Colt AR-15 in the name of 'freedom'
- John Bolton endorses Scott Brown, the newest 'national security candidate'
- Inside the Beltway: Everybody's hot on the Cold War
- Inside the Beltway: Immigration rage festers on all sides
Latest Blog Entries
- A startling 20 percent of Democratic lawmakers already endorse Hillary Clinton for president
- Hey food police: calling obesity a 'disease' is actually a health risk
- Cheese and an 'enhanced experience': White House goes showbiz on the State of the Union address
- Cruz calls it a 'circus': the State of the Union spectacle begins
- Half of American fans say God and 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world