- Thune: Downed fighter jets show more evidence of separatist capabilities
- Obama tells DNC fundraising crowd: ‘I’m not overly partisan’
- Chambliss: Downed jet ultimately goes back to Putin
- Perdue strategy: Run against Reid, Obama, Pelosi
- White House: More changes to contraception mandate coming
- ‘Operation Normandy’ set to send 3,500 volunteers to border to ‘stop an invasion’
- Netanyahu’s spokesman: Safe to fly to Israel
- Oregon vandals smear cars with doughnuts, pastries, chocolate bars
- Obama’s ‘Katrina moment’ leaves his favorability factor at 42 percent
- Feds tout nearly 200 arrests, $625K in seized cash in Texas border crackdown
Static caused Pennsylvania nuke transformer outage
Question of the Day
PITTSBURGH (AP) - Static electricity caused an electrical transformer to fail during a record cold spell in January, prompting a reactor to shut down at a western Pennsylvania nuclear power plant.
The Beaver County Times (http://bit.ly/QPSzKP ) reports that FirstEnergy Corp. and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission have agreed upon the cause of the problem at the Beaver Valley Nuclear Power Station in Shippingport, about 25 miles northwest of Pittsburgh.
FirstEnergy spokeswoman Jennifer Young says operating procedures for operating oil pumps in the transformer “did not provide proper guidance for operating those oil pumps at low temperatures.” That caused the static build up that led to the failure.
A polar vortex was pushing temperatures from the 20s down to the negative single digits when the transformer failed that afternoon, Jan. 6.
Information from: Beaver County Times, http://www.timesonline.com/
TWT Video Picks
Retailer pays a price for getting too close to Obama
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- HURT: The cost of 'free' water in Detroit
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq