- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
- Israel’s ambassador praises Obama, slams Human Rights Watch report
- Md. parents accused of locking up autistic twin sons
Coos County makes plans for LNG property tax money
Question of the Day
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Local officials are considering a unique plan to divide the property taxes that would come with the proposed construction of a $7.5 billion liquefied natural gas export terminal on the North Spit of Coos Bay.
The Oregonian newspaper reports (http://is.gd/RpuZDN ) reports the tax money would be funneled into private non-profits whose non-elected board members would have final say over how the dollars are used.
Supporters say the maneuver will create a long-term funding stream for schools and economic development.
They also believe it will prevent the tax windfall from going to the state, and then and redistributed across Oregon under its school funding equalization model.
The natural gas export terminal, power plant and pipeline are expected to add at least $4 billion to the local property tax base.
The plan must be approved by the North Bend and Coos Bay city councils, as well as Coos County and the Oregon International Port of Coos Bay.
Information from: The Oregonian, http://www.oregonlive.com
TWT Video Picks
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
- Rep. Jared Polis' anti-fracking crusade riles Colorado
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- Brooklyn Bridge surrenders: White flags replace Old Glory atop icon
- LYONS: Small-arms treaty, big Second Amendment threat
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq