- U.S. Navy admiral ‘receptive’ to giving Chinese counterpart a tour of carrier
- Islamic State orders female genital mutilation for Mosul girls, U.N. says
- Israeli fire hits U.N. facility in Gaza, killing 15
- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
- Pro-Palestinian protesters attack Israeli soccer team in Austria match
- Virginia police: 2 dead after storm at campground
- Ukrainian prime minister announces resignation
- House members question $17 billion VA request
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo launches statewide task force to collect LGBT data
- Obama’s motorcade prevents woman in labor from crossing street to hospital
Woman reunited with daughter after nearly 5 years
Question of the Day
DELTONA, Fla. (AP) - A central Florida woman was joyously reunited with her daughter after nearly five years after authorities tracked the girl down in Mexico.
The Volusia County Sheriff's Office said Jodie Borchert of Deltona was reunited with her 12-year-old daughter Saturday in Miami, where the girl was transported after being found in the mountainous region of Hidalgo, Mexico, about two hours outside Mexico City. The child’s father, Aaron Cox, fled with the girl in August 2009, police said.
Cox, 55, was arrested and charged with interference with child custody. He is being held in Miami, awaiting extradition to Volusia County. It’s not known whether he has obtained an attorney.
“It is such a huge relief to bring this case to a successful conclusion,” said Brandon Haught, a spokesman for the Volusia County Sheriff's Office. “Reports are the girl is extremely happy to be reunited with her family.”
Authorities have pursued the case since the girl’s disappearance, but said no viable leads had emerged until Monday, when a tip was received at the National Center For Missing and Exploited Children. Over the following five days, the Volusia County Sheriff's Office worked with U.S. Marshals, the State Attorney’s Office and the Florida/Caribbean Regional Fugitive Task Force.
The Daytona Beach News-Journal reported (http://bit.ly/1jWewE4 ) Cox could face additional charges and an investigation is still ongoing.
Information from: Daytona Beach (Fla.) News-Journal, http://www.news-journalonline.com
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq