- The Washington Times - Friday, May 2, 2014

Eight were killed and another 15 or so injured Friday after suspected Islamist militants stormed a Benghazi building that houses government security forces.

Among the dead were soldiers and police officers, army officials said, according toReuters.

The attack — peppered by massive explosions and intermittent gunfire — went forth in the early morning hours and lasted about an hour. Special forces from the government were called to the scene to help secure the building, located in the city center of Benghazi, Reuters reported.

The bodies of two soldiers kidnapped during the attack were later discovered in the street, and it appeared as if they had been tortured before they were killed, Reuters reported.

The heavily armed militants also attacked the apartment of Benghazi’s top security head, Col. Ramadan al-Wahishi, but he escaped unhurt.

The attackers have not identified their group affiliation, police said.