- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Lauderdale County school board cuts 108 jobs
Question of the Day
FLORENCE, Ala. (AP) - Lauderdale County school officials say a loss of state funding for next year plus the closing of Anderson School and other uncertainties led them not to renew 108 non-tenured employees.
The TimesDaily reports (http://bit.ly/1jmhKAm) that 61 non-tenured certified employees were renewed as well as 16 classified, non-certified employees.
Of those 108 non-renewed employees, 25 were certified, mainly teachers, and 83 were non-certified, including teacher aides, bus drivers and cafeteria workers.
Lauderdale schools Assistant Superintendent Mark Butler said many of the 108 will be rehired, perhaps as early as the end of the month. The school board is scheduled to meet May 28.
Butler said the district is looking at having to overcome a nearly $1 million loss in state funding because of a 200-student enrollment decline this past school year.
Information from: TimesDaily, http://www.timesdaily.com/
TWT Video Picks
By Isaac Orr
New carbon-dioxide rules would put America in the dark
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors