- Beretta leaves Maryland over gun laws, heads for Tennessee
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
Bill would fund Ill. capital program with gas tax
Question of the Day
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - An Illinois lawmaker says she plans to file legislation that would pay for a capital construction program with the state’s sales tax on gasoline.
State Rep. Elaine Nekritz said Wednesday that her legislation would mean $400 million for construction projects next year and $800 million in additional years.
Illinois’ sales tax on gasoline is 6.25 percent. The state’s share of money from the tax currently is sent to the state’s general revenue fund. But the Northbrook Democrat’s legislation would divert that money to capital construction if an extension of the state’s tax increase is approved.
Democratic lawmakers are working to gather votes to extend the income tax increase. Individual rates are scheduled to drop in January from 5 percent to 3.75 percent, creating a loss of $1.8 billion in revenue.
TWT Video Picks
The president could pay the full price for ignoring Congress
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- BERMAN & MADYOON: An Iranian-Turkish reset
- MAY: Barbarians at Jordan's gate
- EDITORIAL: Obamacare in intensive care
- Pentagon team dispatched to Ukraine amid crisis with Russia
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq