- Number-crunchers put GOP chances of retaking Senate at 60 percent: report
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals
- Fla. voters’ support for medical marijuana bodes well for ballot measure: poll
- Keith Urban concert ends in ‘nutso’ chaos, with dozens arrested, injured
- Very religious still lean toward GOP, reflecting long-term patterns, Gallup poll shows
- Fist bump becoming all the rage for germ-wary handshakers
- Tennessee storms ravage counties, wreck 10 homes
- Chinese police tear down church cross in religion crackdown
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: ‘Obama, Obama, where are you?’
- Maine police find wife, husband, 3 children dead in home
2014 FRENCH OPEN: Tournament at a glance
Question of the Day
PARIS (AP) - A glance at the French Open, the year’s second Grand Slam tennis tournament:
Site: Roland Garros.
Surface: Red clay.
Schedule: Play begins Sunday. The 15-day tournament closes with the women’s singles final June 7 and men’s singles final June 8.
Sunday’s Forecast: Cloudy, with a 50 percent chance of rain and a high temperature of 68 degrees (20 Celsius). Rain is forecast for most of the first week.
2013 Men’s Singles Champion: Rafael Nadal of Spain.
2013 Women’s Singles Champion: Serena Williams of the U.S.
Last Year: Nadal beat David Ferrer of Spain 6-3, 6-2, 6-3 for his record eighth French Open championship - no other man has won that many titles at one of the Grand Slam tournaments - and fourth in a row. Williams defeated Maria Sharapova of Russia 6-4, 6-4 for her second French Open title and first since 2002.
Key Statistic II: 3. Number of losses on clay already in 2014 for Nadal, the most he’s had in any season since 2004.
Prize Money: Total is more than 25 million euros (about $34 million), an increase of 3 million euros (about $4 million) from 2013, with 1.65 million euros (about $2.25 million) each to the men’s and women’s singles champions.
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
- '50 Shades' movie trailer outrages anti-porn groups
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq