- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
3 Texas siblings get prison in immigrants case
Question of the Day
McALLEN, Texas (AP) - Three South Texas siblings have been sentenced to prison over the September abduction and harboring of about a dozen immigrants.
A federal judge in McAllen late Wednesday sentenced 25-year-old Rafael Cruz to 40 years in prison. His brother, 27-year-old Roberto Cruz, must serve 30 years in prison.
The brothers from Mission in February pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit hostage taking. Prosecutors say Rafael Cruz also sexually assaulted a female immigrant.
Their sister, 30-year-old Jisel Emery Cruz of Penitas (puh-NEE’-t’s), was sentenced to nearly four years after being convicted of harboring immigrants.
Investigators say the Cruz brothers kidnapped about a dozen people - believed to be in the U.S illegally - from one stash house, took them to another home and demanded cash for their release.
One immigrant called 911.
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Man says he shot burglar who said she was pregnant
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq