- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Bill would boost data breach notice requirements
Question of the Day
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - Retailers would have to notify customers of data breaches under a bill that passed the state Assembly.
AB1710 responds to the breaches at Target, Neiman Marcus and eBay. It heads to the Senate after passing on a 43-24 vote Tuesday.
A recent report by the attorney general’s office found 20 million Californians had information exposed in breaches during the last two years. Democratic Assemblymen Roger Dickinson of Sacramento and Bob Wieckowski of Fremont say their bill ensures Californians can take steps to protect themselves and their credit.
Retailers and business groups opposed it and say the law cannot keep up with constantly evolving technology. They successfully lobbied to remove provisions holding retailers liable if they failed to meet data protection standards.
AB1710 also requires retailers to provide credit monitoring services.
TWT Video Picks
By Isaac Orr
New carbon-dioxide rules would put America in the dark
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors